Look, G is HAPPY!:D

Look, G is HAPPY!:D

Saturday, August 18, 2007

IMPORTED ENTRY FROM MY OLD BLOG --- Golda Almighty :)


Last night, Donald and I had the privilege of watching the advanced screening of the movie "Evan Almighty" at Robinsons Galleria (thanks to Kuya John and Ate Gemma J) In a nutshell, it is an über funny movie about Evan Baxter, a newsman turned congressman who badly wants to change the world. His election meant moving his family to a new home, having a new car, and finding himself so immersed in his political responsibility, such as co-authoring a bill, thinking that he could, well, change the world. One night, with the prodding of his wife, he reluctantly asks God to help him carry out his noble goal. And then, one day, God appears to him and Evan is asked to literally build an ARK just as what Noah did in the Bible. Thinking that he is simply overstressed and that his imagination is just playing tricks on him, Evan attempts to brush the “holy encounter” off his mind, never mind if he comes face to face with God every now and then to remind him of the mission. Until one day, animals in pairs start to follow him wherever he goes, his hair and beard start to grow uncontrollably, he is reduced to donning a robe ala-Noah even during congressional meetings for whenever he refuses to do so, his existing clothes automatically shed off. His life suddenly turns upside down, with his political career and reputation on the verge of downfall and with no one, not even his own family, to understand him. But then again, despite being regarded as a lunatic, he is left with no option but to accept and accomplish the mission God has given him. Ultimately, Evan Baxter understands that reason for such mission. On the day that his work is finally done, the great dam in his place ruptures and as the raging waters flood through the land, the ARK saves the people and the animals from drowning. In the end, Evan emerges triumphant in the eyes of God, his family and all the people around him.

As for the rest of the details, well, I'm not telling because I want you to enjoy the movie as much as I did. Two thumbs up for the antics that made me roar with laughter. But beyond the hilarity and surrealism of it though, I would like to commend the movie for being able to actually make me re-think on what’s going on in my life and on my relationship with God.

Let me share to you two realities in my life that have been touched and shaken by the movie:

################

Personally, I am the type of person who is so obsessed with my plans - I want my career to be like this, I want to achieve that in an instant, and the list goes on and on- without even consulting God if my plans are His plans. And when the time comes that I fail in my endeavors and I find myself in a situation that is not so delightful to me, I question if God indeed knows what I am going through. But after watching the movie, I realized the following…

…When I pray for something like patience, God will not instantly grant me patience. Instead, He will provide me the opportunity to be patient. Expect that I will be placed in a situation that would put me to a test, like having to deal with difficult people, or perhaps, the fulfillment of my ambitions seems to be taking so long, or whatever, but then, with His grace, I will eventually learn how to practice such virtue….

… Oftentimes, my intellect does not have a full grasp of what God is doing in my life. As I strive to follow His words, I may find myself in circumstances which I think is of no good to me, in terms of career, reputation, relationship, etc. But as always, He never fails to make me realize that those I consider as sufferings are in one way or another for a good cause and that I always become triumphant in the end. Indeed, God knows best!...

…Even if at times, I feel that my efforts in doing good seem futile, I should not give up. So long as I strive to follow God, I will certainly reap a reward.

###############

@@@@@@@@

Amidst chaos, hardships and immorality, there will always be an Evan Baxter in me who would want to change the world, for the better of course. Sometimes this gets frustrating as I am unable to pull off humungous moves and drastically create a difference. But the movie served as a channel for God to speak to me that all I have to do is to follow Him and accept my mission to “build an ARK”, even if it would mean sacrificing my earthly pleasures, even if it would mean going against the world and my own will.

No, I do not need to literally put up a structure but “building an ARK” in fact symbolizes fostering Acts of Random Kindness for the sake of my fellowmen. It can be as simple as obeying my parents, caring for a troubled friend, assisting an old stranger, wholeheartedly serving in the youth ministry and so on and so forth. However small the kind gesture may be, it would surely create a spark that if it is habitually manifested, it would surely blaze the whole world with, nothing else but of course, kindness in the long run. And when that finally happens, I can humbly profess that with God’s blessing, I have truly changed the world.

@@@@@@@@



There you go, I guess I have said enough, but don’t just take my word for it; it’s time for you to watch Evan Almighty for yourself! Trust me, you will not regret it! (So much for my promotion, this movie is not even ours haha...J)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google