Look, G is HAPPY!:D

Look, G is HAPPY!:D

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Grave of the Fireflies...A Must See Film!!!!

I find this Japanese movie so emotionally haunting and heartbreaking, a definite eye-opener to the harsh realities of war and to the lessons of life, love and sacrifice.

Set in Japan, towards the end of World War 2, the film becomes a real tearjerker as it unfolds the sad plight of two orphaned children, Seita (14 years old) and his 4-year old sister Setsuko, who are forced to survive on their own amidst the predicaments of war. (If they indeed survive, I am not telling, one really has to see the film)


Watching the movie made me realize that there is nothing good about war, no country really reigns supreme in the true sense because even the powerful ones (like Japan which occupied and terrorized our country during WW2) suffer too, even they have civilians who are defenseless, hungry, weak, sick, afraid...who die.

It won't be a first and last viewing for the Grave of the Fireflies, I don't care if it will be an overwhelming experience once again, never mind if I will feel my heart constrict again, never mind if I will have to hold my breath again as I become witness to the sorrowful events...I could bear such feelings.

More importantly, the film brought me back to reality...made me reflect that amidst the hustle and bustle of my present life, there are certain things that are more important to hold on to than the rest.

Go on, I am urging you to experience the Grave of the Fireflies! Now!

P.S. The child actress, Mao Sasaki, who plays Setsuko is sooooooo adorable.:)

1 comment:

  1. I've watched the original anime version of this movie and jeez, it is indeed a tear-jerking movie. So depressing.

    ReplyDelete

Google